Here are my top ten predictions for 2024.
1. Justin Trudeau will remain leader of the Liberal Party. Pierre Poilievre’s 10-point lead will evaporate. No election will be caused or called.
2. A recession as defined by two quarters of slow or no growth will occur. Previously compassionate Canadians will turn mean and blame immigrants for both the housing crisis and hard times.
3. The S&P/TSX Composite Index will fall 18 percent.
4. Donald Trump will win the U.S. presidential election. All hell will break loose.
5. Israel will reject international pleas for peace and continue to pursue Hamas even as the number of dead Palestinians rises to 50,000.
6. Forest fires will repeat last summer’s sultry proliferation thereby bringing cries of outrage and threats of reprisals by the United States toward Canada.
7. Russia will offer peace to Ukraine in return for keeping all the territory it has won. Ukraine will refuse. Fighting will carry on as the world loses interest and aid to Ukraine dries up.
8. Toronto and other cities will rename more streets and remove more statues in a futile attempt to forget a past that will always haunt us.
9. We’ll wish Artificial Intelligence had never been invented.
10. In spite of everything, may all your hopes and dreams come true.